One of the most common defenses of not cooking is not having enough time – I beg to differ. Now, if you are a working single Mom with three kids, you are obviously stressed for time. I still feel like it’s a cop out, as a friend of mine is a single Mom with two kids, a full time job and a graduate student and she still cooks for her children every single day. She cooks both breakfast and dinner from scratch every day. It’s their time together and she enlists their help, discusses their homework and talks about their day. It can be done.
But when couples tell me they just don’t have time I start to sputter. Cooking simply and well is easy, fun and therapeutic as a couple. I firmly believe that couples should cook together and not relegate any given chore or task to one or the other. Just do it together!
Here is a quick, easy and healthy dinner that takes about a half hour.
Grilled Chicken with Orzo:
What you’ll need – Feta cheese, spinach, half a chicken cut into pieces and parsley for garnish.
What it is – Orzo very small pasta and it resembles rice. Very, very tasty stuff.
What to do – Marinade the chicken the night before in olive oil, garlic and the juice from two limes.
• Heat a grill to medium high heat (around 400 degrees). Always remember that I don’t use a gas grill. Nor will I ever. Unless it is absolutely unavoidable. Then I’ll complain about it.
• Put a pot of water on the stove to boil, salt profusely.
• Place the chicken on the “cold” side of the grill. Cover.
• Check your water.
• Flip the chicken – keep covered.
• When the water is boiling, dump about a cup and a half of orzo in. Cover.
• Flip the chicken. (Cover)
• When the orzo is al dente (cooked but still firm) remove from heat and strain.
• Sautee the spinach until wilted.
• Uncover your grill and move the chicken over the flames.
• Mix the feta, spinach and orzo together and cover.
• Brown the chicken nicely but don’t burn!
• Plate and enjoy!
• Total time, about 35 minutes.
This recipe is completely Laura’s.